Woke up on Day 5 to recount day 4. I wrote a ton of detail but due to poor internet connection it didn’t save – complete user error as I tried to send it to Twitter before hitting save. Wish I had backed that up.
To quickly detail the day I’ll keep it in bullets – quicker and I want to see Rushmore and Crazy horse this morning.
- Rode 600+ miles. Most ever on this trip or in my life (up until this point)
- Met an ex-con sitting outside my MN hotel who was applying for a job. He spent time for a “domestic assault” but “it wasn’t his fault. Did some Meth since being released but it’s ok because he’s not an addict.” Everybody deserves a second chance but I’m not holding out much hope for this guy. Still not owning up to his actions. I’m glad we met and spent so much time talking – also hate to be judgmental but it’s sad when something is so clearly wrong and somebody doesn’t see it.
- On the road: Speed limit here is 75 in most places and no stoplights. The ride went by pretty uneventfully despite the 4 roadside cops through the 600 mile ride. One scene that stuck out was that between the long stretches of corn (it was everywhere) I encountered a 1 mile stretch of sunflowers. Really incredible sight!
- The Steve Jobs Audiobook kept me entertained through the long stretches of road. Really Badass biker audio.
- The only issues were a hail storm headed my way and almost running out of gas in the Badlands. I tried to take refuge from the potential hail storm at a gas station. I asked the attendant when they last saw hail. He laughed and said “May – and was laughing because they just had the holes in their ceiling fixed. Apparently this wasn’t my safe refuge. The gas issue was due to the stations where I stopped only stocking 87 octane which is not great for bikes. I opted to carry on to the next station 20 miles toward the Badlands. I was slightly stressed that the station would be closed and I’d have to figure out a plan B.
- I arrived in Rapid City SD, checked into the hotel and did a quick load of sink laundry. My riding jeans were so full of pollen that the sink was filled with water the color of yellow Gatorade, even after the third rinse.
- Went to Sturgis – 30 miles from the hotel. This place is just unbelievable – almost overwhelming. The Full Throttle Saloon (from the TruTV show) was much bigger than I had expected and the 80s Hair Band Cinderella played with special guest Sebastian Bach (from Skid Row). This music brought back memories of simpler times – times where I tried and failed to grow a mullet. Clearly some of the other patrons hadn’t experienced that same failure and continue to showcase their mullet-based success even today!
- This bar and all of Sturgis is more than I could have expected – truly phenomenal and the people were all incredibly friendly – many of whom helped add to the next day’s ride itinerary.
- Midnight seemed like the right time to leave. I would ride 30 miles back to the hotel watching countless roadside sobriety tests along the way.
Sturgis 2012. I rode mine there.