I’ve used a number of tools to plan rides in the past and some are better than others. The elements for a good ride planning application are:
- ability to upload images from mobile
- collaboration tools to receive contributions from other riders in my group
- check lists to keep track of packing items and destinations
- ability to import maps
- public and private switch. Some things I’ll share with the world and others should just be for my group to see
- potential to tweet or share items in an organized capacity on Facebook
I’ve been using Springpad for this functionality as it has all of the elements highlighted above and is a free app. It also lets you tag destinations with a “want” tag to remind you to visit it at a later time. Notebooks (as they are called in Sprjngpad) can be organized by any headers you feel appropriate such as maps, packing, food, sight-seeing etc. You can even assign tasks to others in your group such as “pack a tarp” or “bring the Whiskey” (two items I need to remember on this upcoming trip).
Below are a couple examples of maps from mobile as well as an entire desktop map set. The maps that you’re looking at are for LA to Sturgis and back – the trip I’m planning for next week. I did have to use Google Maps to create the initial map but then imported the maps and directions into the Springpad tool (http://sprng.me/ihsh7).
What do you use? What functions have we forgotten to name?